Thursday, September 15, 2011

Baby, we're going to China!


After the single most expensive and chaotic 12 hours, I have finally confirmed the following:
*We depart from home on October 5th and arrive in Beijing on October 6th
*We will be staying in Beijing until Sunday, October 9th, and we'll be on an early train from Beijing to Harbin
*We will finally, at long last, after months of waiting, hold Elliott in our arms the morning of October 10
*We will travel by plane from Harbin to Guangzhou on Friday, October 14
*We will confirm our adoption on October 19 at the US Consulate in Guangzhou
*We will travel by train from Guangzhou to Hong Kong the evening of October 20
*We fly home on October 21 and arrive home on the same day considering the time zones

Hotels were three times more expensive because of the Canton Trade Show going on in town, and I spent HOURS on the computer and the phone bargaining down different hotels and begging for every applicable discount.  We settled on the Holiday Inn Shifu in GZ and I am very satisfied.  I got a GREAT rate on airline tickets (thanks, Todd!) although I could have bought a nice little car for that same amount of money.  The last arrangement for us to make is for a hotel stay in Beijing and booking a tour guide to take us around Beijing.  I have that almost wrapped up, but that will have to wait until this weekend with the 12-hour time difference I'm working with and my 12-hour work shift tomorrow.  Beijing hotels are not booking up nearly as fast as Guangzhou is because of the GZ Trade Show.  I have time.

It feels great to have some of the biggest headaches behind me.  Just a few smaller details and a few suitcases to pack up and we're all set.  We have our farm helpers arranged to take care of our farm and our home while we are gone (thank you Vanderweys!) and our sweet little girls (thank you Wissinks, and thank you Grandparents!).  It's finally all falling into place, it's just going to take some time for the sticker shock to wear off after all of the damage I did to that poor little credit card today.  I think I can hear it crying from inside my purse.

Leaving for China in 19 days
Getting Elliott in 25 days

Up for work in 6 hours....  *yawn*

3 comments:

  1. So amazing! I can't wait to meet the little guy...how exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi April. I saw your blog on the message board. Congrats on your TA! My wife and I will be traveling in a few months to Harbin. Our little girl just turned 3 years old. We sent a birthday care package and received a few pictures in return. There are a few other children pictured - thought you might want to take a look in case one of them is Elliott. Shoot me an email and I can send them to you if you'd like. docbrunk@gmail.com
    Train from Beijing to Harbin? How long of a ride is that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi April~

    I saw you are going to be in China around the same time my husband and I are. We leave on 10/6, meet Millie (2.5) on 10/10, have our CA on 10/19, and come home on 10/21.

    Would love to meet other families while we are there in Guangzhou.

    Hope all your details come together smoothly and you have peace as you make the final preparations.

    Blessings~
    Lisa Osborn

    ReplyDelete