Saturday, January 29, 2011

I'm here!

11:00pm - Nairobi time.  We landed safely in Nairobi.  No more plans for April for another 11 days!  It is 3:00 pm Michigan time, a difference of eight hours.  It's dark and quiet here at the Methodist hotel in Nairobi.  I just showered and have on clean pajamas and that feels great.  The hotel is very small, and our roon is about 18 feet by 20 feet: two single beds, a toilet and a sink/shower.  We have mosquito nets but I haven't seen a mosquito yet.  I can hear a dog barking in the distance.  My head is still dizzy from traveling over 24 hours straight with sinusitis. My roommate, Jennifer, is a office manager for a pediatric surgery office in Grand Rapids.  She's great! She has three daughters, so we have a lot in common.  On the bus ride from the airport to the hotel we saw zebras crossing the road.  Zebras!  I was sitting on the wrong side of the busto get a good look, as it was dark, but there were enough people who saw them to confirm it.  ZEBRAS!  holy cow - I'm in Africa!!!

From what I could see on the dark bus ride, Nairobi reminds me a lof of rural southern Mexico, but with cars on the opposite side of the road.  And people here drive crazy!  I can't wait to see what tomorrow brings.  After some sleep.  :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment